All this has been fascinating (in other words, worth printing out!) and I
can't resist adding my currently favorite demon: the one who afflicted Saul.
The reason he might be relevant is that there was such interesting
disagreement, in the Middle Ages as well as the Renaissance, as to what
exactly he was up to. Sent by God, sure, but does he allegorize something?
What was he doing to Saul. Producing melancholia? If so, that might explain
why David's music was so effective, unless it was David's goodness (opinions
varied). The illustrations of this biblical episode in a recent book on music
and medicine are intriguing in this regard: one shows a very sick Saul in
bed--he has, so to speak, come down with a demon. The other shows a winged
demon fluttering near Saul but not exactly *in* him. The reason I think this
might be relevant to Spenser is that in a curious way Saul's demon and the
many, many arguments over how it operated, and where, and just exactly what
made it go away, has parallels with how we read Redcrosse's adventures chez
Archimago and elsewhere: how much of this is inside George, so to speak (his
*ge* part, the flesh, being so subject to sexual fantasies that can also
represent, it's wise to remember, the temptations of Roman Catholicisim's
visual and auditory beauty), and how much outside. Does Redcrosse come down
with a case of demons, or are the demons external even if still real?
According to the classical and Renaissance authorities I have been reading,
Archimago could also have tried the Lydian mode, to which the antidote is the
Dorian. Since Redcrosse seems to have a touch of melancholia (perhaps from
thinking to much, Ficino would say), medicinal music would have helped
him--but aborted the narrative, of course. Anne Prescott

anne prescott
english, barnard college