While I was participating in protests against the Bush administration's war, those who opposed us protesters almost invariably yelled "remember 9-1-1" (which event, we know well, had nothing to do with Iraq). Is Rob Dyer's response more or less "remember St. Bartholomew's Day"? Here it is: 0000,0000,DEDEThis is an unbelievable exchange among people many of whom we have loved and respected all our academic lives. Let us not forget the relentless mission of Elizabeth's court to defend its new faith against the encirclement of catholicism. St. Bartholemew's Day was not an ancient event. We should not ignore the degree of religious fervour that had animated the two sides during her reign, and the fact that Sidney had been involved in her attempts to create a holy alliance in Europe. Dyer's activity is often well described as a secret service agent. Spenser's creative life cannot be separated from the lives and ideals of his friends. 0000,0000,DEDERob Dyer, Paris, France. I think this is very like the abuse of our memories of the attacks on the World Trade Center to justify a badly judged violent response. Dyer's response assumes that Elizabeth I sought to "create a holy alliance in Europe"--while in fact, Elizabeth reacted cooly, to say the least, to Philip Sidney's 1577 embassy to the Imperial court during which he seems to have broached the topic of a Protestant League with some of his Continental friends. This isn't to deny the horror of the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre or of the attacks on the World Trade Center: it is to urge that we understand the complexity of the circumstances surrounding them, and that we use our understanding to work to break the cycle of violence and retribution and the ceaseless recriminations that rationalize further cycles of violence and retribution. Moreover, we need to understand and demystify the mechanism by which recriminations invite people to reduce real understanding to a reactive counterattack. Accusations (even though they're true) of atrocities committed by Hussein are the rhetoric that distracts us while the Bush administration kills off young American & British men & women, offers violence & starvation to an already starved and violated Iraqi people, flouts the U.N., and enriches companies like Halliburton (of which Dick Cheney is a former CEO) with a genuine pig-trough of contracts to "rebuild" Iraq to be paid for by the sale of Iraqi oil and by American taxpayers (see 1A1A,1A1A,FFFFhttp://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/23/business/23REBU.html?ex=1049473422&ei=1&en=d19c8fb46243f064). By crying "remember 9-1-1," the Bush administration and its dupes activate the recriminations that rationalize violence, and worse, they collapse into one hated (Arab?) identity the one enemy that may pose a real threat to civilians worldwide, Al-Qaida, and a horrible man who poses no direct threat to the United States, Saddam Hussein. By crying "remember St. Bartholomew's Day," Dyer's argument encourages the same kinds of confusions (Catherine d'Medici & the Guise for the Irish?!) and, even worse, promulgates the same kind of reflexive accusations that rationalize violence. Dyer's argument encourages the kind of muddled thinking that Bush, Hussein, Sharon, and other killers rely on to misrepresent their bloody power-and-money grabs as "national defense." I think we should be trying to expose and refute such rhetoric always and everywhere: that, to steal a phrase from Heaney, would be a "salubrious role" for criticism "within the body politic." I suspect Spenser, whose creative life, as Dyer rightly points out, can't be totally separated from the lives and interests of his friends, would have wanted his art to serve a more reflective role than merely to justify English attacks on Catholics everywhere. Respectfully, Joel B Davis Assistant Professor Department of English Stetson University 421 N Woodland Blvd Unit 8300 DeLand, FL 32723 386.822.7724