"Yet sure in all that [Desmond] war there perished not many by the sword,
but all by the extremity of famine, which they themselves had wrought...
havoc and confusion... yet this is very necessary to be done, for the soon
finishing of the war... Therefore, by all means it must be foreseen and
assured that after once entering into this course of reformation, there be
afterwards no remorse or drawing back, for the sight of any such rueful
object as must thereupon follow nor for compassion of their calamities,
seeing that BY NO OTHER MEANS  IT IS POSSIBLE TO RECURE THEM and that these
are not of will, but of very urgent necessity."  --Irenius, *View* (ca.
Smerwick and famine discussion), emph. added; also McCabe, *Spenser's
Monstrous Regiment* 91-3.  I think "foreseen...necessity" and blaming the
victim trumps allegorical disassociation here.  --Tom Herron