From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">lena.wahlgren
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, 23 March, 2003 04:47 p.m.
Subject: [M-R] comparative swords

Dear Stephen,

I remember this story from my Ladybird book of Richard the Lionheart. The crusader is Richard himself (cutting a bar of iron, as far as I remember), the infidel is Saladin. Even the author of the Ladybird book pointed out that the story can hardly be authentic, since the two leaders never met. It sounds Victorian or slightly earlier. Could it be Sir Walter Scott's The Talisman? Of course, there may be a similar motif in some earlier story, I can't guarantee there isn't, but this would probably be the one your father-in-law is thinking of.

Lena Wahlgren-Smith

Stephen Allen wrote:

>I was trying to remember the details of the wonderful
story about the
>crusader who confronts the infidel leader and demonstrates
his power by
>spliting a bock of something with his iron sword.  His
opposite then throws a
>piece of silk in the air which is severed by his razor
sharp steel blade as