From: "Theresa Gross-Diaz" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [M-R] miracle motifs-spiders & steaks

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/13/03 08:21AM >>>

Perhaps these could be shared with the list?  Best, John Dillon

Sure thing, John!

Both from  Alfonso X "El Sabio", Cantigas de Santa Maria:

Cantiga # 201 Tells the story of a girl who promises Mary that she will
remain  a virgin; she breaks that promise (and how!), has three babies whom
she kills one after another, and then suffering remorse she tries to kill
herself by eating a poisonous spider.  When that doesn't work she eats a
larger one... Not yet dead but in agony (obviously) she prays to Mary to
forgive her; Mary "restores her innocence" and heals her.
- - - This one is particularly interesting because of the restored [sexual]
innocence motif which one finds elsewhere in Marian miracles (like the
naughty abbess of Soissons), and the suicide (or here, attempted suicide)
motif.  Despite (or because of?) the horror in which suicide was held - (it
is after all the worst of the deadly sins, that of Judas : despair)  -
suicides (prevented or restored to life) are not uncommon among miracle
stories (there is a great one connected to pilgrimage to Santiago, in which
James shares the stage with Mary).

Another Cantiga from Alfonso's collection - sorry I've misplaced the number,
but it begins "non sofre Santa Maria":
It concerns pilgrims to Mary's shrine at Rocamadour; nine pilgrims check
into their motel, order dinner, and go off to pray at the shrine before
eating.  When they return, someone has stolen one of their steaks!  The
bereft and hungry pilgrims ask Mary for aid, and they hear "something"
thumping around inside a trunk... turns out to be their very rare steak.
They don't eat it (well, would you!?) but rather return to the shrine and
hang the steak up as an offering.

The Cantigas are a great teaching resource!  There are several wonderful
performances available: I like the Martin Best Ensemble, "Cantigas de Santa
Maria"  (Nimbus Records, 1987).
Cheers
Theresa

to: [log in to unmask]