Could I please just add a two-pennyworth here?

In Scotland under Common Law all objects 'without an owner' are the
property of the Crown.  That has been interpreted to include any
archaeological finds which are not the property of the landowner here.

Finds of all kinds have to be declared for 'Treasure Trove'.  But
declaring finds doesn't protect sites themselves.

But there's an issue connected to this that affects everyone - as Anne
Given says, in N Ireland, excavations must be licensed.  But there is
still nothing to stop a farmer or landowner ploughing or bulldozing a
site if it isn't scheduled.  In the Republic of Ireland, or in
Scandinavia, there is much more comprehensive protection of
archaeological sites.

I have (this morning) had a case where a developer has been refused
planning consent on archaeological grounds and is now talking (I
understand) about 'trashing' the (unscheduled) archaeology.  If this is
done in a way that doesn't require planning permission, what is there to
stop it?

We all know lots of sites that are important but may not be scheduled.
It is time for an overhaul of the antiquated Scheduling legislation.
Let us have something that would offer some decent protection to all
archaeological sites, not just those (<4% of recorded sites here) that
are scheduled.  Even scheduling doesn't stop ploughing if that started
before the site was scheduled...

And yes, licence excavations, why not?  It wouldn't stop local societies
and other voluntary groups from getting licensed if they were up to
scratch.

John

John Wood
Senior Archaeologist
Planning and Development Service
The Highland Council
Glenurquhart Road
Inverness  IV3 5NX

Direct line 01381 702502
Web:  http://www.higharch.demon.co.uk

This Email (and any attachment) is intended for the exclusive use of the
addressee(s) only. You should not disclose its contents to any other
person. If you receive this message in error, please contact the sender
and delete the message. Thank you
Opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of my employer.