Hi -

The virus referred to in this alert is a hoax - a similar warning made the rounds here a few weeks ago. Do not delete the specified file!

Cheers,
Becky Jamieson

At 03:57 PM 05/03/03 +0000, you wrote:

Dear All

We have just been advised by one of our E mail contacts that a virus
infected their address book
which means our address book has also been infected. Since you are in
our address book, there is a
good chance you will find it in your address book too.

The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe)is not deleted by Norton or McAfee
anti-virus systems. The virus sits
quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is sent automatically
by messenger and the address
book, whether or not you sent e mails to your contacts.

Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it.

YOU MUST DO THIS

1 Go to Start. Find or search option

2 In the File Folder option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe

3 Be sure you search your C: drive and all sub-folders and any other
drives you may have 4 Click
"Find now" 5 The Virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe
DO NOT OPEN IT 6 Go
to Edit (on the menu bar) and select Delete. It will go to the Recycle
Bin.

IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
BOOK, SO THEY CAN ERADICALE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS

TO DO THIS

a Open new e mail message

b Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO"

c Highlight every name and add to "BCC"

d Copy this message, enter subject paste to e mail

Sorry for the inconvenience

Rebecca A. Jamieson

Killam and Carnegie Professor
Department of Earth Sciences,