[EMS-NEWS]

F.A.O. EMS Postgraduates ONLY

Re. Backup of laptop computers

It's come to my attention that one or two of you with your own laptop
computers have had technical problems in recent months.  In one
instance someone has potentially lost a great deal of course work
from their computer's internal hard drive due to a mechanical
failure; the cost of employing a data recovery agency to assist can
be extremely expensive.

Whilst EMS cannot offer you any financial first aid or technical
repairs in these instances, what I am strongly considering is to
offer the opportunity to have important course-related work & audio
projects on your laptops backed-up by the EMS tape backup system.
This is the same system that incrementally backs-up new files &
folders in the EMS each night.

There is sufficient capacity to (initially) offer 10-15Gb storage per
person, depending on demand.

The idea would be for you to bring in your computer every few weeks
and leave it overnight to be backed-up. This only applies to laptop
computers - we haven't the capacity to store vast amounts of data -
e.g. everything on a 70Gb external firewire hard drive.

Would those interested in this please advise me by email, and I will
then make arrangements accordingly and send a follow-up email.

best wishes

Ian

--

Ian Stonehouse, Studio Manager, Electronic Music Studios,
Music Department, Goldsmiths College, New Cross, London SE14 6NW.