OK, Chris, now what?

Imagine that SATS have arrived and that within your timeframe of five years
the University sector has decided that SATS are the thing to do. What do we
do then? Rebel? Leave the job? Carry on teaching economics and business
studies (to say nothing of accounting!) regardless?

When you first raised this issue, at the time that reforms to University
financing were proposed, at least a couple of us suggested that Universities
were now faced with an opportunity to exploit (horrible word but you know
what I mean) the new situation. Universities that really do put the student
at the centre of its life will flourish and Universities whose methods would
make dinosaurs seem progressive will fail in the longer term: just yesterday
I went to a University web site to look for something and the home page had
a link to their staffing section: they turned out to be the administration,
personnel, estates staff … in my day the staff were the teachers!

The same with SATS: if these are to become the method for sorting out the
wheat from the chaff then someone somewhere will have to work with them
whether we like it or not.

One of the nightmare scenarios is that we simply take the American system
lock, stock and barrel and use that as it is: it’s bad enough that everyone
goes to the movies these days and buys tickets at the box office rather than
the cinema and the booking office, let alone a US based University screening
system.

Then again, given the way that A level results have gone over the last few
years aren’t Universities right to look for alternatives? Isn’t it true,
hasn’t it always been true, that Admissions Tutors have always looked beyond
level grades to identify the exceptional and the marginal? How do they
identify the exceptional and the marginal: shouldn’t we want the entire
process standardised and predictable for the benefit of everyone? Don’t SATS
have something to offer here?

Finally, can’t we rest assured that inertia in the UK will mean that your
five year prediction will actually become the 10 – 15 year horizon as
government and Universities will need

a Royal Commission

a new QUANGO

an Ombudsman

a Public Enquiry

a new Minister for SATS

then the education industry will have to sort itself out …

Just a few thoughts

Duncan