Yes Julie ­ I brought the matter up a couple of months ago when I suggested
we would have SATs in 5 years. Little did I know that this was very
conservative and if you were reading last week¹s papers you might have seen
they are already here.

Now this matters because it means a huge transfer of power (and money) away
from us as economics and business teachers ­ and that is aside from the
issue of whether it is good for students/education in general.

In essence the arrival of SATs means the ends of A levels. Which in turn
means no need for AS level book this and key revision notes that and A2
revision course X. If your livelihood is dependent on any of those ­ you
should worry.

We can all go back to using Maunder, Sloman, Harvey or whatever you used to
like 7 years ago and for some that might be welcome.  You will be able to
set your own internal exam or if you like buy in something that the old A
level boards will try to stay alive by selling ­ but ultimately the school
budget will dictate you set something internally.

As a body of teachers we will lose all or most of our say in what economics
education should be if we are not careful.

I must say that I don¹t get any sense that we are in anyway concerned about
the incoming tide.

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/testprep/testprep.asp?TPRPAGE=78&type=S

>>> received a
>>> your
>>> for A
>>> get
>>> level for
>>> money

>>> before we

>>> teachers
>>> unless
>>> thing?

>>> university

>>> whole
>>> > >

> Message your friends in real time - and for free.  Get MSN Messenger today!
> <http://g.msn.com/8HMCENUK/2755>

Chris Rodda

1 Cordrey Green
Iffley Village