The issues set out in the email from Runnymede College are huge. I will try to cover some of them.

I can say with confidence, that if SATS become a widely considered outcome within universities/government, the EBEA will certainly develop a position on them, through consultation and discussion, and play a full part in the debate. Working groups are currently being set up to deal with current policy issues and this situation will be within the remit of the A level groups.

The suggestion of giving raw scores merits consideration. About two generations ago an exam board called NUJMB used to give, not raw scores, but percentages given to the nearest 5%. One can imagine a mark of 95% cutting a bit of ice with some universities.

On behalf of the EBEA I find it flattering that the writer thinks the association could

set syllabuses for economics and business, set exams, help coordinate university research, give grants for research.

I can assure you that though this proposal might command widespread support for A level Economics, if it were to be applied to Business Studies, the National Association for Business Education (NABSE) and the Society of Teachers of Business studies (STBE) would have something to say about it. You will quickly see that it is more complicated than it appears. Someone in government would want to vet the effectiveness of the subject association involved....

I think it is worth looking at this debate in the context of all A level subjects. In the main, universities require an A level in the proposed degree subject. The situation with Business Studies, Management Science, Economics and some other subjects (Law, Accounting?) is different from the majority. It is after all unthinkable that, for example, the medical schools would admit students without the requisite qualifications in Sciences and/or maths. I think it is unlikely that students would be allowed to stop serious study after the SATS. Some combination of requirements would be much more likely. It is already the case that some universities are making Maths A level a requirement for admission to Economics degrees.

One last point. The EBEA runs almost entirely on the services of volunteers. The office has one full time employee, who takes care of administration, publicity, events and co-ordination of services. It will soon be beginning work on a range of projects which will be paid for but not profit making. But for the foreseeable future, all the work associated with professional services for members, representation to government bodies, policy making and publications will continue to be performed on a voluntary basis. In the long run, we will not be effectively served as a profession unless we can reduce this reliance on volunteers. The increasing level of accountability in most members' work entails stress levels that are hardly compatible with voluntary work, however relevant it may be to their jobs.

The subject associations need teachers who are not currently a member of any professional organisation to become members so that their voices can be heard. Please don't just assume that they can function without your support. There is a good deal of current evidence that subject associations will be expected to play an increasingly significant part in curriculum development. To be effective they need strong memberships.

Food for thought, I hope. Nancy

Nancy Wall, Chair, EBEA.