Duncan

It is a thorny issue I agree. Iım not sure who speaks for us even if there
was a consensus. But presumably, the unions, the university education
departments, the exam boards, associations like the EBEA all have a say.

When I started my PGCE at London in the early 90s Sir Peter Newsom gave a
lecture ­ he said that 100 years ago teachers were paid the equivalent of
£70,000 ­ the erosion of status and money he largely put down to deciding to
become unionised rather than become a Royal college similar to doctors,
lawyers and the like. Certainly our voice is disparate in economics, let
alone teaching, so it is difficult in the extreme to affect anything. But
fighting our corner is a must I think.

First we have to recognise that we produce a product ­ the educated student
whom we sell on to an employer or a university­ but we also sell a service
to the student/parent/society. With 50% going to university now the
universities are of increasing importance.

The universities need to be able to discriminate between students ­ we can
argue that they are wrong and we might continue to do so if we wish but
ultimately they are the customer for 50% of our product as teachers and even
more as A level teachers­ and we are very limited in being able to tell the
customer what he wants.

We must also be true to ourselves ­ we must surely educate our students in
Economics and business to levels, topics, capabilities and values to which
we collectively and individually believe to be right.

I do not believe these are incompatible.

One way for example might be just to abandon grades in A levels and just
issue raw scores. The grade boundaries may have come down but the standard
of teaching, student effort, teaching materials have not.

Whatever the cure might be, it wont be decided here ­ but the EBEA might put
forward its collective view after doing some work on it ­ perhaps we could
commission some work.

We should also fight tooth and nail any SAT drift in government thinking.
But as a back up consider that if we do have SATs we also have subject
specific SATs too, not just the English and Maths.

A radical suggestion ­ The EBEA should set syllabuses for economics and
business, set exams, help coordinate university research, give grants for
research. Much as the work at the moment is outstanding regarding the exam
boards and publishers (as a previous thread discussed) - the relationship is
a little cosy. The EBEA is as I understand independent and non-commercial
and I would have thought the perfect institution for determining content,
standards and values. Bridges to universities, employers and local
communities must be maintained and strengthened ­ and respect for the A
level (or whatever we call it) is regained. If we donıt do it ourselves,
others will do it for us.