Dear Friends,

As the various Regional Meetings on the UN Human Rights Convention for People
with Disabilities are happening in April & May.

I'd like to propose that a Monitoring Committees and Special Rapporteurs be set
up in each Region;

UN Economic and Social Council Regional Commissions
- Economic Commission for Africa (ECA)
- Economic Commission for Europe (ECE)
- Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC)
- Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
- Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA)

to report Annually to the World Committee in New York.

It seems to me that the Monitoring Committees for the other UN Conventions are
hopelessly overworked as the workload of monitoring of around 200 countries is
overwhelming and self defeating.

By dividing this work up into Regions we will reduce the overall workload and
greatly enhance the effectiveness and implementation of this Convention.

An active present in each Region will greatly enhance the Disability work of UN
Agencies in those Regions.

Let us not allow those who will try to limit any costs, to slow down the
implementation and effectiveness of our Convention. I believe funds will be
found more easier at the Regional level as it would be more cost effective and
closer to home.

Also below are Web site references for the existing UN Conventions (thanks to
Ricky at PWD NSW) and below this the Agenda for the Asia Pacific Regional
Meeting in Beijing, China.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Frank HB
Disability Australia

The web site for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has
what you want, as below:

· Convention on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination 1965 (CERD)
http://193.194.138.190/html/menu3/b/d_icerd.htm
· Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights 1966 (ICESCR)
http://193.194.138.190/html/menu3/b/a_cescr.htm
· Covenant on Civil and Political Rights 1966 (ICCPR)
http://193.194.138.190/html/menu3/b/a_ccpr.htm
· Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women 1979 (CEDAW)
http://193.194.138.190/html/menu3/b/e1cedaw.htm
· Convention against Torture 1984 (CAT)
http://193.194.138.190/html/menu3/b/h_cat39.htm
· Convention on the Rights of the Child 1989 (CROC)
http://193.194.138.190/html/menu3/b/k2crc.htm
· Convention on the Protection of Migrant Workers 1990 (MWC)
http://193.194.138.190/html/menu3/b/m_mwctoc.htm

Regional Meeting and Workshop on an International Convention to Protect
  and Promote the Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities
8-11 April 2003
Beijing, China

PROVISIONAL AGENDA

1. Opening of the Meeting.
2. Election of officers.
3. Adoption of the agenda.
4. Move towards the elaboration of an international convention on the rights of
persons with disabilities.

(a) Regional views towards the elaboration of the convention of the rights of
persons with disabilities.

(b) Review of experience at the international level, in particular at the Ad Hoc
Committee on a comprehensive and Integral International Convention on the Rights
and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities.

(c) Rights based approaches to development and advancement of persons with
disabilities in mainstream development.

5. Review of the national situation of the rights of persons with disabilities.

6. Discussion on contents of the international convention, strategies towards a
rights based approach to development, and building of national capability
towards rights based policy approaches.

7. Consideration of recommendations from the regional perspective towards the
elaboration of the international convention on the rights of persons with
disabilities.

8. Adoption of the report.

are now located at: