To: DCMI Advisory Board and Usage Board

Dear all,

At the Florence Advisory Board meeting, Diane Hillmann and Stuart
Sutton proposed to set up an "AskDCMI" service. This Q&A service
to our community would replace the rather basic feedback mechanism
that we have now.

Based on the enthusiastic response in Florence to this suggestion,
Diane and Stuart have proceeded to set up the implementation, using
the virtual reference infrastructure developed by the Information
Institute of Syracuse as part of the Virtual Reference Desk project.

The URL of ASkDCMI is: http://askdcmi.askvrd.org/. We are planning
to go live with the service in early April. In the coming days, we
will add more links and documents.

As this service depends on the efforts of experts to answer the
questions from the community, I am inviting you to register as an
expert. As a member of the Usage Board and/or Advisory Board, you
are one of the leading experts in this area and we would really
appreciate it if you were to share your knowledge and experience
with the DCMI community.

To give you an impression of expected workload, my statistics show
that we have received some 30 questions since 1 January 2003; in
2002, there were about 300 in the whole year -- so if we have a
reasonable amount of experts, you may expect maybe two or three
questions per month at most.

The good thing about the service is that answers to questions will
be available for searching so we only need to answer them once.
Diane is so kind to manage the process and keep an eye on the
orderly conduct of people asking questions (and of experts, no
doubt!).

If you are willing to be an expert for AskDCMI, please do the
following:

1. Go to http://askdcmi.askvrd.org/
2. Click on the EXPERTS tab, and click on the link to register
3. Fill in the form, making sure that you choose at least one
   (preferably more) audiences and categories that reflect your
   expertise. Remember, the categories are designed to match
   questions with appropriate experts. There will be overlap and
   you don't have to answer all questions in those categories.
4. The credentials/bio will appear after your answers (like a sig
   file) but should be brief and understandable by a general
   audience
5. When finished with the form, read:
   http://askdcmi.askvrd.org/services/askdcmi/expert_tips.asp

You may want to do the following to get a feeling for the service:

2. Click on "ask a question"
3. Register AGAIN as user (the form is a bit different)
4. Ask a question (preferably one that needs an answer and has not
   been addressed in a FAQ or on AskDCMI)

If you have any questions or difficulties, please contact Diane

Makx.

Makx Dekkers                            e-mail: [log in to unmask]
tel: +352 2636 0150     fax: +352 2636 0151     GSM: +352 021 199910