Yesterday the Irish parliament passed a government motion allowing the US
military continued use of Shannon Airport, Co. Clare during the war with Iraq.
 The airport has been used to transport US troops and equipment to the Gulf
region.

This decision means that Ireland is supporting and facilitating in a practical
way an unjust and illegal war.  It violates the spirit of Irish neutrality.

As the government of this country seems content to ignore the views of its own
electorate on this issue, I am asking list members to bring some international
pressure to bear and to register their protest via e-mail.

To Bertie Ahern, Taoiseach (Prime Minister) [log in to unmask]
To Brian Cowen, Minister for Foreign Affairs  [log in to unmask]

If you are non-Irish, you might like to mention something along the lines of
not going to Ireland on your holidays, or that you will boycott Irish
products, as this is the only type of message our government seems to listen
to.

Yours sincerely
Conor Ryan
University College Cork