0100,0100,0100Dear all 'THE MINERS' STRIKE 20 YEARS ON: CHALLENGES & CHANGES' - a call for papers From 11-13 July 2004, a conference will take place at Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, to reflect on the experience, impact and legacy of the 1984-85 British miners' strike. Further details are contained in the attached file. Confirmed speakers include Ray Hudson, John Kelly, Huw Beynon, Sheila Rowbotham, Harriet Bradley, and Ian Lavery (President of the National Union of Mineworkers). I am organising a stream of papers at the conference titled 'Class and Community'. The stream will be opened by Ray Hudson. Papers on the miners' strike, or more broadly on the importance of space, place and scale to the past and present political economy of organised and unorganised labour, would be very welcome. Abstracts should be submitted to Susan Doberman at Northumbria University by 15 December 2003. Susan's contact details are contained in the attached document. We intend to publish a selection of conference papers in a special edition of Capital & Class, and in an edited book collection. Michael. Dr Michael Fisher Business School Greenwich University London SE10 9LS Tel: 0208 331 9740