Hi,

The organisation that provides the facility for this list advise that the
subscriber list is kept confidential to the list owner.  I think this is
rightly observing a consent issue - in that it is usually understood that
when people join a list as a subscriber they do so because they want to be
part of the forum, and haven't agreed to necessarily share their details
with other people.  If people still want the list of those subscribed I
will have to check with JISC Mail about their regulations.  I suspect it
would involve some clarity on why people want a list of subscribers, what
they will do with the information and finding a way to get everyone's consent.

In relation to agreeing guidelines I agree that keeping it open as possible
is a good thing.  A different list I am a member of has been having a very
difficult time with people posting inappropriate messages.  Having some
guidelines seems useful for times when there are complaints about list
activity.  I like the statement in Annie's email below:

"postings are welcome that fit with a commitment to psychologies that
contribute to community well-being, power sharing, social
justice and social support"

I could include the above statement, and the JISC guidelines (list below)
in the welcome message to people - or is that OTT?
    * Respect copyright when forwarding messages, if in doubt check with
the author
    * Respect people's privacy, don't give out the private email addresses
or contact details of others
    * Think before cross-posting, some people belong to more than one list
    * Don't call someone names, are overtly rude, or are blatantly
sarcastic or condescending
    * Watch where that reply is going, should it go to the sender or the list?
    * Send your commands to the right address, [log in to unmask]
    * Make sure your email address is correct
    * Complain to the list owner, not the list
    * Suspend mail when going away, you can always catch up via the archives
    * Don't send attachments to JISCmail lists, use the files area
associated with your list
    * Use a meaningful subject line, it will increase the chances of it
being read and found
    * Write relevant messages appropriate to the purpose of the list
    * Don't quote an entire message when replying this leads to very long
messages
    * Keep your lines short and don't send long messages, waffle is
off-putting
    * Use a short, well-designed signature Only use ASCII (plain) text ie
don't use pound (£) signs

Rebekah

At 14:44 05/03/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Rebekah,
>Thanks so much for setting up this discussion list -
>i'm already finding it productive and helpful to make
>contact with others and witness discussions - nice to have
>like minded messages occassionally to lift my spirits
>or challenge me to think when faced with the endless
>bureacracy that comes thro the ether....
>I'd like to have a print out too of subscribers if that is
>possible to find.
>Like Carolyn, I don't like too much regulation tho I
>suppose if there is a real risk of being bomarded with
>things that won't lift my spirits or challenge me that
>could change - i find my delete button works quite quickly
>but there would be a real  problem  if attachements are
>sent which can overload my mailbox.
>
>I don't understand how access is controlled but may be we
>could simply specify something along the lines of postings
>are welcome that fit with a commitment to psychologies that
>contribute to community well-being, power sharing, social
>justice and social support.
>

>Annie
>On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:10:03 +0100 Carolyn Kagan
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Rebekah
> > My preference as always is for least restriction possible (this maight
> > change if the list began to add irrelevantly to the hoards of emails
> > received). I'm also not particularly infavour ofany guideliens other
> > than a commitment to a value based community psychology.
> >
> > Is there any way of seeing the list of subscribers? I cant work this out
> > from the site.
> > Best wishes
> > carolyn

COMMUNITYPSYCHUK - The discussion list for community psychology in the UK.
To unsubscribe or to change your details visit the website:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/COMMUNITYPSYCHUK.HTML
For any problems or queries, contact the list owner at [log in to unmask]