Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:36:24 +0000 (GMT)
From: Andy Powell <[log in to unmask]>
To: LTSN Technical <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RDN/LTSN LOM application profile

I've had a go at putting together an RDN/LTSN metadata application profile
based on the UKCMF.  This, I hope, reflects most of the discussions that
have been had so far around this subject.  It is primarily intended to
give people something concrete to focus further discussions on - but I
hope it isn't too far from a finished profile.

  RDN/LTSN LOM application profile
  http://www.rdn.ac.uk/publications/rdn-ltsn-ap/

I've tried to note down any key issues with the profile as part of the
document, but a couple of key things are worth re-iterating here:

- the RDNLTSNType list needs to be devloped by us

- the PURL-based Object Identifier (POI) is a draft proposal.  I'm still
working with people at OCLC to finalise details of how the POI will work
in practice.

- "UK Education Levels (UKEL)" is a (my) proposed re-badging of the
12-level list that we currently refer to as SCQF.  I think this name will
be more agreeable in certain parts.

- I can't find an online version of the LearnDirect subject scheme - does
anyone know of one?

- I haven't provided a LOM binding because I don't know which XML schema
to use.  Can someone point me at the correct one?

- The profile doesn't consider metametadata issues because this info will
be carried in the 'about' section of the records exchanged using the
OAI-PMH.

- The XML for each example is available separately (via the 'instance
metadata' link), and can be validated to show conformance with the XML
schema in use.

Comments welcome...

PS - my personal view is that this proposal would make a good "UK HE/FE
Core Metadata Framework" :-)

Andy
--
Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell       +44 1225 383933