Hi Cornelius and all,

Archaeology in Popular Culture is a splendid and important topic, I think!
Cornelius, you surely know the recent UK work in this area better than I do
nowadays, and you have my dissertation on 'alternative' archaeology... I'm working
on the 'popular archaeologies' topic again now and will of course send more later,
but for the moment:  here's some info on people studying popular archaeologies on
this side of the Atlantic, for your files:

In November 2000, Marcia-Anne Dobres (then Berkeley, now U Maine I think), Robin
Sewell (then Berkeley, not sure where now), and Michael Dietler (Chicago) all did
terrific papers relating to popular archaeologies at the AAAs, in Dobres and
Sewell's session "Consuming Anthropology: Pop Culture's Love Affair with Simulacra
and the Other". Dobres' paper concerned archaeology in the movies, Sewell's covered
race and gender in images of ancient Egypt in soap ads (Palmolive), and Dietler did
Celtic identity (upon which he has published a lot).

The session abstract follows. Jean Auel herself was discussant, which was both
fascinating and delightful.
cheers,
Kathryn

"SEWELL, Robin Lisa (California-Berkeley) and DOBRES, Marcia-Anne
(California-Berkeley)
CONSUMING ANTHROPOLOGY: POP CULTURE'S LOVE AFFAIR WITH SIMULACRA
AND THE OTHER     The relationship between popular culture and
anthropology is at least as old as the discipline itself. The public's
overwhelming interest can be seen with the remarkable success of Clan of
the Cave Bear and the peddling of everything from soap and luggage to
beer and cigarettes through appeal to exotic Others, past and present.
But it has been a stormy affair, with some anthropologists working with
an oftentimes missionary zeal to teach the scientific principles of
evolution as well as the wonders of cultural diversity, and others
ridiculing the pilfering of culture theory, ethnographies, and
archaeological research to suit the public's consumptive need for
anything anthropological.

What fuels the public's unwavering and seemingly uncritical consumption
of anthropological knowledge?  Why is popular culture willing to accept
simulacra as "real" anthropology?  What, if any, is our responsibility
in this love affair?  And if anthropological knowledge belongs to the
public domain, do we then have the right to try and "control" its
consumption by those outside the fold?
As variously concocted by authors, advertisers, film directors and
mainstream culture more generally, participants in this symposium
consider the sex appeal of exotic cultures, the machismo of archaeology,
and the scientism,  racism, and sexism in evolution and culture
difference as interpreted by popular culture.  The goal of the session
is not just to illustrate the many areas of tension between anthropology
and popular culture.  It also seeks to address issues of pedagogy, by
exploring how anthropologists explicitly and implicitly participate in
and exploit this fascination for their own agendas inside and outside
the classroom.  Of necessity, we will also debate whether
such pedagogical exploitations are little more than complicity fueling
the problem.

Among the 11 topics included for discussion are: the selling of
commercial products through the exoticism of anthropology's Others past
and present; the trials and tribulations of being a (paid) authoritative
consultant to Hollywood films about Africans and Native American
Indians; the pro an con of hyping the "Indiana Jones" machismo of
archaeology in college classrooms; the proactive use of the internet by
Sri Lankan minority populations to create (and correct) anthropological
and
journalistic constructions, thereby challenging mainstream discourse
about them as a muted "Other"; the appeal to ancient pasts as a way to
construct contemporary Celtic identity; how
anthropology must acknowledge its contribution to creating pop culture's
use of Native American tribes as athletic "mascots" while simultaneously
engaging in and forming new alliances with these communities; and how
the lay and scientific communities use primatological research and
evolutionary theory to explain the "natural" basis of everything from
homosexuality to child abuse and rape."