Dear Cornelius and All,

certainly didn't want to shut down Cornelius' topic, in fact I went to the news
stories precisely because this is my main engagement with popular culture (sad
but true). I really appreciate being pointed at more in depth discussions of
the issue, because I think this is one of the problems for archaeology in its
image in popular culture. Discovery, news, snippets - the condensation of all
subtley and debate into a few sentences.   Which is probably a problem for this
list as well - completely ignorant people (like myself) ask a question to which
the rest of the group can only legitmately answer - read the literature! (fair
enough) This  high-speed problem is certainly what gets levelled at programs
like Time Team here in the UK, are there contrasting images in popular culture
which hit on the more cautious side of our work?

Sarah

>Hi all again
>
>before India's truthful history takes over, let me say to Ehren that,
>yes, I know Miles Russell's book and like it a lot -- thanks for
>recommending it anyway and now everybody may feel (rightly!) that they
>have to read it!
>
>And to Sarah: defining pop culture is indeed difficult. What I mean is
>the image of archaeology those people get who don't make any particular
>effort to find out but just live their lives and take in what they come
>across. So, yes, both TV and Agatha are a part of it, as is the way
>people perceive some major heritage sites like Stonehenge. I guess that
>is what you suspected anyway. I am not too sure if I want to get much
>further into these kind of definitional subtleties -- after all, much of
>popular culture itself is ill defined and without clear boundaries, and
>it may well be entirely inappropriate to impose any rigid scheme on my
>subject matter. So that is what I am interested in!
>
>Cornelius
>

>Cornelius Holtorf
>Riksantikvarieämbetet, Stockholm
>http://members.chello.se/cornelius

>Dear Cornelius,
>
>how are you defining popular culture? Does this mean representations
>that are
>not controlled by archaeologists, or simply representations that have a
>mass
>audience?  Does Time team count? Does Agatha Christie? Is it something
>you see
>when you aren't lookijgn for archaeology (so as to discount heritage
>presentation
>which is meant to be popular culture?  Not trying to be awkard (honest)
>just
>want to bend my mind around the things you are interested in.
>
>thanks
>Sarah
>ps - I found your site a bit slow to load, any chance you could
>resample the
>images a bit more?  S

Text NISSAN to 57502 for UR chance 2 Win a Brand New Nissan Micra.
Txt costs EUR2 (op charges may vary).
http://interactive.iol.ie/mymobile/html/competition/comp.html