Reinhardt Bernbeck and Susan Pollock went over some this ground in a
1996 Current Anthropology piece. As I recall,  there has already been
archaeological activity at the site, and  questionable (and questioned)
claims for the prior existence of a Hindu temple.  At this moment,
court-ordered archaeology looks like political theatre.
Peter.

Bernbeck, Reinhardt, and Susan Pollock
   1996   Ayodhya, archaeology, and identity.  Current Anthropology
37(Supplement):138-142.

--
Peter Whitridge
Assistant Professor