I thought that the understanding of Dante's respect for Ceasar was a product
of his beliefs about the Roman Empire in itself. (Rome was a Holy City,
chosen by God, and the Roman Empire was a Holy institution, likewise chosen
by God to be the vessel through which Christianity would be preached to the
world. So in this way, the "founder" of the Empire would be due great praise
[as they would be a pseudo-salvific "vessel" - similar to, but not
equivalent to, someone like the Virgin Mary]).

Rob Howe.

>From: Marjorie Greene <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: [M-R] "Saint" Julius Caesar
>Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:41:34 -0800
>
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Someone recently posed a question about the reverence
>in which Julius Caesar was held by Dante. It just
>occurred to me that those in the deepest recesses of
>the Inferno are Judas, Brutus and Cassius. Dante must
>have had a partucular loathing for those who betray
>friends who have done them no harm. Sounds like a
>thesis topic to me.
>MG

>Yahoo! Web Hosting - establish your business online
>http://webhosting.yahoo.com

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

Surf together with new Shared Browsing
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/browse&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=74&DI=1059

to: [log in to unmask]