I have been fascinated by all the responses to my provocative remarks on
heathenism, and it has helped to confirm me in a career decision I was
already inclining to, namely that I'm really not at home in Religious
Studies and ought to go and do something else. I wouldn't like anyone to
think my aversion to paganism springs from Christian prejudice, since I
dislike evangelical Christians much more than I dislike pagans. I once
worked with a woman who told me she used to be a witch but had now "returned
to Christ" - I couldn't quite make up my mind which phase of her belief
trajectory was more irritating. (Incidentally, she was definitely working
class - she lived in Easington, Co. Durham, which came out with the worst
health problems in the country in the census.) I am by sympathy and
conviction an atheist and this is at the root of my aversion to new
religious movements - I think that inventing even more religions is going in
the wrong direction.

So maybe it's not too late for me to go and train as an engineer. In the
meantime, I'll shut up on this list.

Elaine