Simuliidae Symposium
International Congress of Entomology
Brisbane, Australia
15-21 August,  2004

Dr. Philip Weinstein, who is organizing the Medical Entomology Section for the 2004, International Congress of Entomology, Brisbane, Australia, has asked me to organize a Symposium on Simuliidae.  I have accepted, and hope to have Hiro Takaoka, Japan, as a Co-chair.
        It appears that the Symposium does not have to be strictly medically oriented, indeed, Dr. Weinstein has specifically asked for it to be broader.  Talks are of 15 minute duration and it is possible for the session to be either a half a day (12 talks), or a full day (24 talks).  To make such a decision, I need some feedback regarding how many simuliid researchers will be attending the Congress and are planning to make a presentation that would be suitable - that is, with a leaning towards medical veterinary entomology (in a very broad sense) and its various aspects.
        At present, I have in mind an introductory 30 minute talk on evolution of blood feeding in Simuliidae, then some other invited speakers who might cover more traditional medical themes, such as reviews of the onchocerciasis programme, both in Africa and in South America, control programmes elsewhere, and then contributed papers on whatever.
   So, if you are planning on attending the ICE in Brisbane and are prepared to contribute to a Simuliidae Symposium please let me know.  I need to have something organized before the end of March when Philip takes the proposal to the ICE organizing Committee for approval.
  If required, a letter of invitation can be generated to aid in obtaining funds.  As far as I know no monies are available from the ICE to assist this session.

Best regards,
Doug Craig.

PS. Please circulate this message to those not on the 'simuliid list'.

Dr. Douglas A. Craig,
Professor Emeritus,
Department of Biological Science,
University of Alberta,
Edmonton,
Alberta,
CANADA
T6G 2E9

Ph:- (780)-492-3716. Fax:- (780)-492-1767
WWW:- <http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/craig.hp/craig.html>