Hi Steve, and welcome. No, you are not alone...I suspect that many of us have shared your experience of lack of communication within organisations. I have found that the larger the organisation, the worse the problem; and the smaller the more likely it is that these 'different' jobs will implode into one or two. And I think that is the nub of the matter. The PRO ran a project some years ago, to identify the skills that "today's records manager" needed, and many of those turned out to be things like communications, pro-activity, interpersonal and presentational skills, strategic thinking...etc...rather than technical or professional knowledge. I think it is generally true that the more successful (in terms of recognition and organisational status) of us are strategically focussed 'facilitators' rather than hands-on 'managers'. Best regards, Mike Marsh.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Davies [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: vendredi, 14. février 2003 15:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Yet another poster...!

Dear All

Hello, having followed the topics of discussion with much interest for the
last week, I thought I ought to introduce myself as so many others have
done...

My name is Steve Davies and I'm Records Manager at Chester City Council.
We've just had our Publication Scheme approved today which is a
relief...now the hard part begins, getting new FOI/RM procedures and
standards in place!  The biggest challenge here seems to be getting all the
various people who have an interest in this to work together...we
unfortunately have an organisation that doesn't seem to see the connections
between RM, FOI, DP, E-GOV, ERM/Digitisation and Communications, so all
these issues are dealt with by different departments(!)  I'm trying to get
everyone to talk...
We used to have a Management Level "Information Group" but this was
disbanded!

Any other "lone ranger" records managers out there had this situation?  How
did you overcome it?

As others have said, thanks to Tony and Stephen for setting up the
listserv.  I think it's exactly what we need!

Steve Davies
Records Management
Chester City Council
01244-402104