I would concur with Alan, in that ultimately the legal admissibility of
microfilm depends on the court on the day. The argument will be - can the
microform be considered a true copy of the original?
Due to the large numbers of standards on microfilm from both AIIM -
www.aiim.org and British Standards - contact Alan, microfilm is considered
widely as a true copy of the original. Obviously evidence of your internal
records management policy and strategy will need to be considered.
  Two good books that act as a guide are:-
Micrographics: Technology for the 21st Century - William Saffady
(available from ARMA - www.arma.org)
Film Based Imaging - New views and applications - Don Avedon (available
from AIIM - www.aiim.org)
  Also I would recommend a look at www.ggbaker.com and click into the
"tutorials" section.
  I am just collating more details that are specific to France and should
be able to e-mail them next week. In the meantime take a look at
www.archimag.com/records if your French is up to it.
  If all else fails then talk to Alan!
Regards,
Paul Negus