Re your question:   I am interested in expanding my knowledge in this field, what courses or qualifications should I be considering (UK based) if I am to make the progression to a professional Records Manager? As an aside to that there is also the thought - what makes someone a professional in this industry?

Chris this is a good link for you to look at.  It gives you some insight.  Basically the CRM designation makes you the cream of the crop.  I will leave it up to the folks who have this designation to advise you.  Cheers.

http://www.icrm.org/

John A. Gervais
Manager, Policy and Communications,
Information Management Directorate,
Finance and Administration Branch,
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency,
16th Floor, Albion Tower, 25 Nicolas Street,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0L5