As my Dad said, you need the right tool for the right job. The foundation of
a good records management program are the policies that underly the program.
These define the program, set the retention periods, determine when items
are sent offsite etc. Software is the tool needed to fufill the requirements
of the policies. You cannot set up the software until you have the retention
periods, the records series and the locations where these items will be
stored. This debate becomes even more critical when dealing with electronic
records.
Without the blueprint it is tough to build a house, or at least one my wife
would live in!, no matter how good your tools are.
Bob

Robert F. Nawrocki
Electronic Records Coordinator
Records Management and Imaging Services Division
Library of Virginia
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219-8000
804.692.3505