Colleagues,

I have enjoyed the conversations - hope it can stay civil!

Frank, let me pose the following. I do some consultant work for a clinic
that does a wide variety of alternative approaches to PT (cranio, muscle
energy, etc, etc). The majority of the patients they see have failed
traditional PT approaches (EBP). The therapists are excellent manual
therapists and have tremendous patient care relationship skills. They often
perform mobility testing of the SI joint, find dysfunction, select their
approach to treatment and the patients get better. I personally can't
ignore this, regardless what the literature states. However, that does not
stop me from asking the question - Why? Knowing the number of patients that
are referred to this clinic, and evaluating the wonderful care they receive
should we encourage them to stop using their approach? I hope not. What
about the phenomenology of the patient - therapist relationship that is so
important in the "ethics of care." What about the phenomenology of the
therapist him/herself, and what role does that play in positive outcomes?
There are many questions to ask, and many answers yet to come.Honestly, I
hope we don't find all of them - life would be to boring. Just my thoughts.

Rege