From this account, it appears as if Besas were a Christian sympathiser, closet Christian - maybe (?) not a baptised Cht. at all.  Several accounts of 3C saints celebrate matyrs created when bystanding soldiers & civilians do things like Besas did.  Lots of baptised but closeted Christians?  Or are they unbaptised, instant convert-martyrs, express-laned right into heaven, pace  Augustine?
(I don't actually mean "are they saved" but rather "in the Middle Ages, how were they seen to have achieved sainthood w/o having been baptised")
Theresa
(note also that I recognize that in c 250 they were illegal, but that has only an indirect effect on whether or not they were "out")

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/26/03 10:41PM >>>

Today (27. February) is the feast day of:

Besas (d. 250)  Besas was an Alexandrian soldier, on duty when Julian and
Cronion Eunus were led to their execution.  B. tried to shield them from
the abusive mob, which the mob took so badly that they seized B. and killed
him on the street.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]