Greetings everyone,

I'm a newcomer to the listserv, working on a Fulbright in church history in M
ünster, Germany.   Am relatively new to the game, having gotten my bachelor's
last year at Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas.   My major was in
International studies (focusing on European political science), but I had a
minor in religion and also did considerable work in history, English and
continental literature, and feminist studies, thanks to the interdisciplinary
nature of my program.   In the last two years of my undergraduate career, I
conducted a considerable amount of research (then mostly through secondary
sources) into the beguine "movement", focusing on the span between the
"origins" of the beguines and the papal condemnation of them at the Council
of Vienne.   I worked to frame them through lenses of queer theory (in the
spirit of Dinshaw's "Getting Medieval") and social movement theory, and also
analyzing them in general with regard to other heretical groups (real or
imaginary), such as the "free spirits", tricky work because of the caveats
involved when analyzing any historical event or process through contemporary,
"post-Modern" lenses.

My current project thus extends my earlier research in a larger comparative
view to the much-contested historical underpinnings of the beguine
phenomenon, as well as other lay movements of that era.   I had originally
planned to examine primary texts as well as more secondary sources to
postulate how this movement could be seen as "uniquely subversive" in its own
time; however, extensive reading has given me pause, moving me to more deeply
explore the (expansive) historiography of the movement, and how feminist and
post-Modern as well as Modern analyses of the movement have contributed to
the formation of deterministic and oft-misleading discourses regarding
medieval mulieres sanctae and their possibly long-reaching historical origins
(not to mention the long-contested etymology of their partially pejorative
name), in earlier Christian as well as pre-Christian cultures.   In this
vein, I would appreciate any or all suggestions you might have regarding this
topic.

However, I also have a more specific request, and that is regarding French
scholarship on beguines.   Alongside English and some Latin, German is my
primary research language, and thus most of my secondary sources have been
from German scholars (Reichstein, Wilts, Spies, Wehrli-Johns, etc.), and I am
aware of some key Dutch works.   Although I have had two years of
university-level French, I am still quite unfamiliar with most French beguine
scholars past and present, and would be very grateful if someone could give
me some tips as to some solid French-language resources.   Once again, many
thanks for any and all information.

Best,
Jenny Carlson

Westfalische-Wilhelms Universität Münster
Norbertstr. 21
48151 Münster
Germany
0251/520-9776