Thanks, this may be the sort of thing, although mines in Italy and I don't think I can call it a 'coro' without causing all sorts of confusion.  Off-list, a friend has told me of an English use of 'retrochore', so it sound to me as though 'ante-choir' might be legitimate as a generic term.  Do you happen to know who sat in the Spanish ones?

Laura
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: William Smither
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 3:04 AM
  Subject: Re: architectural term needed

  Laura,

  You'll probably get far more knowledgeable responses than this, but that enclosed section of the nave is still found in many Spanish churches, most notably in the cathedrals of Sevilla, Toledo, Leon,  and Burgos.  There the term is simply the "coro," the choir.  The back of that enclosure is called the "trascoro" (back of the choir) and is often elaboately ornamented with sculpture, etc.  Two important sites where that enclosure once existed and has since been removed are Santiago de Compostela and Chartres.  In the case of Santiago many of the sculptures have been retained and made part of the east end of the cathedral complex.  Some of the sculpture of the "trascoro" of Chartres was in the cathedral museum.

  Salud

  To change your address contact the Listowner Harriet Sonne at [log in to unmask] For other commands see the MEDART-L WEB page: http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~hsonne/MedartL

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]