I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to check out this
dissertation, but I recall that the discussion, in part, concerns an
exegesis, based on very specific readings of the liturgy, of very
specific feet--those of the famous (to art historians) Christ of the
Emaus pier relief in the cloister of Silos (11th C.). Note this is not
Christ of the mandatum (the "feast" of foot washing), nor does the
exegesis involve genitalia. The point here is that any associated
meaning and symbology must draw on material evidence (written or other
sources) of the date and place. I'm afraid I can't summarize the thesis
for you, but it may be worth trying to get through your library.

James Blaettler, S.J., THROUGH EMMAUS EYES: ART, LITURGY, AND MONASTIC
IDEALOGY AT SANTO DOMINGO DE SILOS, PhD dissertation, The University of
Chicago, 1989.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]