Once again Phyllis' source describes as Neapolitan someone from another part of what was once (albeit later) the mostly mainland kingdom of Sicily, popularly but quite unofficially known as the "kingdom of Naples".  Nicolaus Paglia, in Italian Nicola Paglia, was born in Giovinazzo and educated at Bologna, where he entered the Order of Preachers.  Rising to become provincial of his order's Roman province, he preached in many Italian cities.  In his native Puglia he founded houses at Trani, Brindisi, and Matera.  He died at the Dominican convent at Perugia, another of his foundations.

N. is also known as Nicholas of Giovinazzo.  His family's home, much rebuilt and now known as Palazzo Paglia, is a local spot of interest.  See http://www.giovinazzocity.it/PagDettagli/paglia.jsp

Those who read Italian may enjoy this spoof on local boosterism presented in the form of a call for N.'s canonisation:
http://www.giovinazzo.it/cultura/satira/satira2.htm

Best,
John Dillon

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:32:12 -0800
 Phyllis Jestice wrote:

>Today (14. February) is the feast day of:

>Nicholas Palea (blessed) (d. 1255)  Nicholas was a noble Neapolitan who set
>out to be a saint from childhood, living an ascetic life from the age of
>eight.  When he went to study, N. met Dominic and soon joined the young
>Order of Preachers, becoming Dominic's companion on several journeys.
>Nicholas was a noted miracle worker and preacher---like Francis, he even
>once preached to an attentive audience of birds.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]