Message from Mary Brown- Senior Librarian Operation and Lending Burnley
Central Library

Public Toilets in Libraries.

I am looking for some help, guidance and/or examples of good practice in
managing free access to the public toilets in libraries. Our toilets have
been regularly vandalised and occasionally used by drug addicts (empty
needles etc) in spite of the presence of CCTV cameras outside the toilet
areas.

We have tried various access options including  a token system whereby
customers had to go to a counter area for a token if they  wished to use
the toilet . This would open the door but it became increasingly staff
intensive and for some reason many of the tokens were stolen.

We have now changed the lighting in the toilets to discourage the use of
needles will move the CCTV monitor so that the area is more obviously being
watched but has anyone found a control system which is not staff intensive
but which may deter the kind of user who wants abuse the facility?