Dear all,
        I know that "ser" was used in the Italian Middle Ages as a title
for notaries and priests (ser Brunetto in Dante, Ser Ciappelletto in
Boccaccio...). It seems to me that "messere" was used more widely, as a
generic title of distinction. Am I correct in my assumption? Is anybody
able to shed some light or provide some bibliographic references with
regard to the eventual differences in the use of these two terms?

Many thanks in advance,

Umberto Taccheri

        Dr. Umberto Taccheri
        Dept. of Modern Languages
        104 South Regina Hall
        Saint Mary's College
        Notre Dame, Indiana 46556-5001

        Tel.(574) 284-5385
        Fax (574) 284-4111
        Internet  [log in to unmask]

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html