Hi Sarah

This subject is one of my pet hates as we have fallen foul of the pricing
policy of historic maps in the past.  Its probably best for me not to get
started on this but here goes...

About 5 years ago I enquired about buying all pre 1950 OS maps in a digital
format.  I was quoted £400 for full coverage of all four of our districts.
Unfortunately we did not go ahead with the purchase as we had little cash.
A year later I was in a position to buy the maps so asked for a new quote
which came back at around £4000 per district.

This massive hike in price seems to have been caused by the duty of Local
Authorities to provide a contaminated land register.  Landmark can supply
all historic maps with digitised layers showing areas identified as
contaminated (usually industrial archaeology).  Whereas previously historic
mapping had no commercial use it now has a captive market.

To be fair to the OS I understand that last year they asked each local
authority if they wanted historic maps to be provided under existing service
level agreements (at an additional but not substantial cost).  Amazingly
local authorities unanimously voted against receiving this extra material!

We are currently in the situation where the resource is not available for
two of our districts given the restrictive pricing.  The engineering
departments of the two others have purchased the Landmark package at
substantial cost.  One has let us share the data and wrote off the cost at a
strategic level.  The other authority are understandably unwilling to share
the data without recouping some of their financial outlay.  They are however
quite happy for me to visit their department and use the data but will not
supply a copy.  We are therefore stuck with paper maps for the moment and
trips to the record office on a needs must basis.

All I can say is that we should be petitioning  our OS liaison officers to
make them understand the cross-departmental value of this data.  Hopefully
if the OS decide to offer the material again as part of the license its
value will be recognised second time around.

Sorry to go on.

Peter (Tees Archaeology)
(01429) 5234358