Thanks for that, Martyn.  That makes sense.  Most of our enquiries are from people who have got the wrong end of the stick to a certain extent - a careful unravelling of the question is often needed before we can even begin to answer it!

thanks again

avis

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 02/26/03 01:00 >>>
Avis

I think this takes "getting the wrong end of the stick" to a whole new
level!!

I can not think of any circumstances in which a fund would be made available
by the EU for this specific purpose. However, many NHS Trust will be
receiving EU Funds for research or for specific health programmes (the new
EU Public health programme is due to be launched soon). Some "failing" NHS
could be receiving this money - but not because they are failing but because
they will be submitting eligible projects!

-----Original Message-----
From: Avis Furness [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 26 February 2003 11:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: funding enquiry

This enquiry has completely stumped me!

I have been asked for information on an "emergency fund for failing NHS
trusts" which the enquirer had been told was run by the European Parliament.

Funding is not usually run by the EP, so I am discounting that part of the
question, but does the rest of it ring any bells with anyone?

avis

Avis Furness
Librarian
European Parliament UK Office