International IDEA is an inter-governmental forum for enhancing democracy.
If you go to their website at www.idea.int you will see that their
activities are mainly directed at building democracy in areas of conflict
etc. Their membership consists at present time of 19 countries - one of them
is indeed Australia. I personally think it's good that they acknowledge the
fact that disabled people are a necessary target group when it comes to
enhancing democratic processes. (As to the way invitations go and "experts"
are named, we probably all would agree that this process could do with some
democratisation and improvement as well.)

The disability conference - which I haven't seen announced anywhere and
which seem to have been an invitational affair - is presented at
http://www.idea.int/press/newsflash/update_20020827.htm
where you also can download conference papers etc. Participant list includes
one Mr Michael Cook from PIANZEA/ Australian Electoral Commission. He would
probably be the one to target for information why the PDCA's work was or
wasn't on the agenda.

As to the disability "connection" I would guess Bengt Lindqvist.

Officially I haven't heard a thing about this from the disability
"contingent" but that might not mean a thing since the news could have been
spread through channels less official.

Susanne

Susanne Berg         Institute on Independent Living
project coordinator      www.independentliving.org

Luntmakargatan 86 A
113 51 Stockholm
Sweden