Hi again

The first rule of quantitative analysis is to state your sampling errors,
so I should point out the main limitation of summarising list membership by
country...

The apparent abundance of US subscribers is not strictly accurate, since it
also includes members from other countries who send their mail from non-
academic US domains (such as aol.com). For example, there were 33 AOL.com,
28 Hotmail.com, 26 Yahoo.com addresses and 40 .ORG addresses (looking at
the names, many of these people I know are not based in the US). The
listserv software only reads the domain name, it does not trace the route
to origin!

We can be more accurate about people subscribing from universities, because
academic domains have unique country identifiers. For the record, there
were 102 people subscribed to the list from .EDU domains (i.e. US
universities and colleges etc.) and 152 from .AC.UK domains (UK
universities etc) - but then again, several of them are overseas students
or staff doing research on their country of origin, so who knows!

Best wishes

Mark

are now located at: