Dear all,

We are currently scoping a metadata profile in LOM for a project which
involves repurposing (direct linking) of library materials within VLEs.
One of the requirement is to enable the use of learning object only to
a specific duration according to copyrights restriction set out by
university and 3rd party publishers: e.g. tutor requesting a specific
electronic article of a journal to be included in a reading list; due
to cost consideration, the article is restricted to a set period of
time by the publisher.

If I am not mistaken, LOM doesn't has the capability (at least
explicitly) to specify a copyright duration for resources. It has a
'duration' element applicable only in a technical sense, i.e. the
physical runtime duration of the resource, e.g. '3 minutes' of a video
clip. It also specifies a recommended duration <typicallearningtime>
indicating how much time learners should spend on a learning object.

I am interested to find out any common practice or if anyone has
implemented this requirement using LOM, without extending or
'bastardised' it. We are currently considering:

<rights>
        <copyrightandotherrestrictions>YES</copyrightandotherrestrictions>
        <descriptions>
                copy right statements here, or URL
                start date: 2003-03-01
                end date: 2003-04-31
        </description>
</rights>

Please note that the above is a simplication of LOM for the purpose of
this discussion, it does not include the XML details (source/value
pairs, langstring etc.) required by the LOM XML Binding.

This message if also a follow-up to a previous thread in this list:
"Marc to Lom crosswalk".

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0301&L=cetis-
metadata&T=0&F=&S=&P=838

Regards

Boon

Boon Low, Learning Technology Officer
University of Edinburgh Media & Learning Technology Service
http://homepages.ed.ac.uk/boon/