> We're in the same boat - due to the luxury (!) of having all
> our metadata already in a database, I am dynamically
> constructing 'learning objects' for our X4L Strand A project
> outside of the Strand B tools. I've successfully got this
> working for all elements in the LOM using the IMSMD XML
> binding, but after attending the EC-SIG on tuesday appreciate
> that we need to  / will need to / should probably use the LOM
> binding. The problem with the draft schema is that the
> http://ltsc.ieee.org/xsd/LOMv1p0 namespace does not exist
> (try accessing it using a browser) - which is the error you
> are seeing.
>
> I guess this is bookmarking where the final schema will live,
> but until then, I assume maintaining a local copy to test
> against will have to suffice? Somebody please correct me if
> I'm going wrong here!

I know very little about the LOM XML schemas so shouldn't comment, but
just to say that an XML Namespace Name is not _necessarily_ the same
thing as the location of an XML Schema.

Dereferencing an XML Namespace Name (even one using the HTTP scheme)
doesn't necessarily retrieve anything. It may well retrieve something -
and indeed the manager of the namespace name may guarantee that
something _is_ an XML Schema. But in the general case, you can't predict
what that something is.

I know it's confusing and it's probably caused more confusion and
arguments than anything else related to XML (and I don't want to start
them again here), but an XML Namespace Name is an identifier for an XML
Namespace, and that's all.

To provide the location of an XML Schema you typically have to associate
the XML Namespace Name with the URL of the location of the schema, using
the xsi:schemaLocation attribute.

Pete