In a message dated 2/3/2003 5:18:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Care pathways are most certainly part of the problem. Care pathways ossify practice and stultify thinking.
They also encourage a "one size fits all" mentality that encourages dehumanisation and a conveyor belt
approach to patient care.

I think this depends on how they are used, Rowley. I don't think they should ever be used as a "one size fits all" mentality. The ACLS and ATLS pathways, for example, are beneficial and in no way stifle thinking. I have them memorized and use them to stimulate my thinking and treatment, i.e., the causes of PEA, etc.. I think the same principle can be applied to other medical conditions as well.

Renee