----- Original Message -----
From: "Danny McGeehan"
Subject: Consultant contracts

> Our CE has called for an extra-ordinary meeting with the Consultant Staff
over the Consultant Contract.  I suspect it is magabig to be called at such
short notice.  Has anybody out there got any clues.  I know we have some
people on the list who claim to be well in with the SOS for Health. I think
the consultants will have to be treated fairly otherwise a large number will
sod off and take early retirement.

> Danny McGeehan

Oh, we had that the other day Danny. It's just as expected, the BMA and DoH
are trying to gauge how much interest there is with regard to local
implementation of the contract, or similar performance-related terms for
consultants. Our hospital indicated a fairly resounding "no interest" in our
meeting on Tuesday. There was initially some debate that it would depend on
what was on offer from the SoS, but on reflection and after further debate,
everyone felt that we shouldn't go down the route of local settlement
regardless of what's on offer; we should instead aim for a nationally
negotiated settlement.

Adrian Fogarty