In a message dated 2/18/2003 6:24:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Must say I like my stay on the Island and the locals certainly spoke very
> highly of A &E, as the waiting times are virtually zilch.  They seem to
> have got it right perhaps we should be looking at their model of care as
> opposed to this drivel that the Modernisation Agency are ramming down our
> throats at great expense to the tax payer.

Danny,

When you say "they" seem to have got it right are you referring to that
particular ED or to the US in general? I can assure you that most ED's in the
US also have problems with waiting times.

The ability to improve waiting times in my limited understanding seems to be
related to the pocketbook. It requires money for appropriate staffing and
adequate number of beds. Did this particular ED have a wealthy patient
population? This makes a large difference in the hospital profits and ability
to pay for the previously mentioned.

Another problem that I have noticed is the inability of hospitals to
accommodate the increased volumes we experience every year during the winter
months. (Being a yearly event I don't know why nobody has come up with a
solution, but since I haven't myself I should stay quiet.) Our patient
volumes increase due to increased illness in the winter months and our
staffing decreases due to the same reason. Some of the inpatient beds are
left unused due to inadequate nursing staff and as we all know s**t roles
downhill to the ED. We end up using ED beds for patients needing inpatient
beds and the waiting times increase.

I truly believe it is a rare ED indeed that has virtually no waiting times.
Xanadu....

Renee