> Streaming of some groups of patients past or through the ED has been
> suggested by one or two managers in this neck of the woods. The A&E
> Consultants are resisting this and we have the full support
> of our local
> GPs in our preferred option which is to move in the opposite
> direction.
> That is to funnel all emergency care through the ED and have a single
> A&E Consultnat led emergency team.

I think there are 2 issues here: whether patients should be identified early
for admission; and whether they should remain under the care of the ED once
that decision has been made. It is clearly beneficial that patients
requiring admission be admitted to a ward as early as possible after
physiological stabilisation. This does not preclude their remaining under
the care of the Emergency team and is entirely compatible with an expansion
of our role and numbers.
Regardless of the speciality looking after these patients, it appears to me
that there is a substantial group of patients for whom (if we are to have
the most cost effective use of our senior staff), senior review after
certain investigations according to protocol (or possibly after a period of
observation) is likely to be more cost effective than immediate senior
review. There are other groups of patients who are physiologically stable,
but unfit for discharge (or require review by a speciality other than A and
E prior to discharge). An expansion consultant numbers sufficient to provide
and entirely consultant delivered service is unlikely in the near future.
Prioritisation of senior staff is therefore important. In my view, the
highest priorities (i.e. the cases where the most difference will be made)
are critically ill patients and complex minors rather than general trolley
cases or simple walking wounded.

Matt Dunn
Warwick

This email has been scanned for viruses by NAI AVD however we are unable to
accept responsibility for any damage caused by the contents.
The opinions expressed in this email represent the views of the sender, not
South Warwickshire General Hospitals NHS Trust unless explicitly stated.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender.