Freedom of Information and Privacy:

When I set up the FOIP program for the City of Kanata (Ontario, Canada) I
first had to ensure that we had a sound records management program in
place, which is essential.  A good file classification schema must be in
place with all records identified, catalogued, archived etc.  Then personal
information banks had to be identified.  I created a liason in each
department for FOIP.  Forms were developed and training was provided.  All
requests went through the department liason to me, (FOIP Co-ordinator) or
as we say here FIPPA (Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
Act.  A presentation on the merits of the program and of course legislative
requirements under the Act was given to Council, as they have
responsibilities under the Act.  A Head of FIPPA was chosen, which was the
Mayor and CAO in the absence of the Mayor.  A co-ordinator was chosen,
which was me.  Training was provided to all staff, posters went up, manuals
distributed etc.  Regular reports go out to staff and management, i.e.
outstanding requests, new requests etc.  (FIPPA newsletter).  All forms in
the City had a caveat on them on the bottom that the information being
collected is being collected under the ....Act and will be protected from
unauthorized disclosure and used soley for the purpose it was originally
collected for etc., with the contact name of the Co-ordinator etc.  I can
provide more details if you wish, but these were the basics.  Cheers!

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Information Services Division,
Information Management Directorate,
Finance and Administration Branch,
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency,
16th Floor, Albion Tower, 25 Nicolas Street,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0L5

' (613) 957-6621
" http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca