I can think of another example: There are three sixteenth-century manuscripts (one may be early seventeenth) of Pierce the Plowman's Crede. Two include Piers Plowman; in one the Crede serves as an introduction to a C-text. If one or more of these manuscripts were produced after the Crede was printed in 1553 (again in 1561, with Piers Plowman printed in 1550 and 1561), the controversial nature of Piers might make sense of the labor undertaken.

Daniel Knauss - Department of English - Marquette University
[log in to unmask] - http://home.earthlink.net/~faerspel/dpknauss
[log in to unmask] - http://www.riverwestcurrents.org