an invitation from *Spenser Review*
Dear Spenserians and Sidneians,
Please write to me with proposals for brief pieces you'd like to contribute for the new series in *The Spenser Review*  described here. (Thanks to Roland Greene for discovering the right name of the series; thanks to everyone whose roll-calls of women scholars convinced me even more than I was that we need to do this series.)
Many thanks,
Terry

De Mulieribus claris

The Spenser Review announces a new series, of short pieces remembering the careers of women scholars of medieval and Renaissance literature from the early days of the profession until 1975:  until postmodernism and second-wave feminism changed the face of literary scholarship.  In keeping with the Review's mission of documenting and preserving scholarship and its local, specific contexts, we invite pieces written as memoir; analyses of individual women's careers and the nature of their structural roles in the profession and the institution; surveys of a woman scholar's work; investigations of specific events like the five articles by women in a 1926 PMLA or the University of Virginia dissertation from the 1930s on 16th and 17th-century women writers.  The work and careers of many remarkable women call for intelligent documentation and analysis, among them Marjorie Hope Allen, Josephine Waters Bennett, Muriel Bradbrook, Lily Bess Campbell, Rosalie Colie, Madeleine Doran, Enid Ellis-Fermor, Helen Gardner,  Isabel MacCaffrey, Marjorie Hope Nicolson, Rosemond Tuve, Joan Webber, Enid Welsford, Helen C. White, Kathleen Williams, Lilian Winstanley, Frances Yates.  Note that this series isn't limited to women scholars who worked on Spenser.

The series will be supervised by current Spenser Review editor Theresa Krier, with the assistance of a board comprised of Judith H. Anderson, Heather Dubrow, Andrew Hadfield, and Debora Shuger. Some pieces will be commissioned, but we hope that many people will send proposals for pieces they would like to contribute.

We anticipate being able to print one piece per issue, of a maximum of 3000 words.  If authors strongly wish to contribute longer pieces, we suggest writing an essay in sections, such that it could be serialized.

Please send all inquiries to the editor, Theresa Krier, at [log in to unmask] or
Theresa Krier, editor
The Spenser Review
Department of English
University of Notre Dame