Prompted by the below email, it might be of interest to all to have a basic 'Action Plan' for when you receive 'Virus Warnings'.

TO PREPARE BEFORE HAND

1. Make sure you have Virus Scanning Software Installed on all of your computers

You can find these at http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/
or
http://www.mcafee-at-home.com/products/default.asp?m=0

2. Make sure you either set your computer to update the Virus Definitions regularly or update them manually on a regular basis regularly.

Standard updates come out once per week usually for both of the above products. For really virulent viruses, updates may be released immediately upon discovery.

Virus Definitions contain the information the Virus Scanner uses to 'identify' viruses and in most cases, instructions for the Scanning Software on how to automatically remove the virus from your system. As new viruses are discovered, new definitions are created for each new virus.

IF YOU SUSPECT A VIRUS OR GET A VIRUS WARNING

1. NEVER FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS OF AN EMAIL VIRUS WARNING

2. Make sure your Virus Definitions are 'up to date'.

3. Peform a complete scan of your computer after updating to the latest Virus Definitions.

If the virus is detected by the Virus Scanning software, then it will tell you what the virus is and may tell you what needs to be done with it. Most viruses can be removed using the Virus Scanning software.

4. If no virus is found OR you cannot remove the found virus automatically, you should go to:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html

and locate the 'alleged' virus information (for example for the jdbgmgr.exe hoax below...choose the J index).

This site can generally be trusted. It will tell you all about the virus (or hoax), what the virus can do to you system (or may already have done) and even how to remove it, if the virus scanner can't remove it automatically.

If you want to MAKE SURE of yourself, verify the information from another site such as www.nai.com before you do anything to your system.

5. If you cannot confidently remove the virus by yourself or you still believe that you have a virus but can't detect it, call a PROFESSIONAL.

If you get an email about a virus, the chances are that if the virus is REAL, it will be documented on the symantec site! There are whole teams of people who's sole job it is to find and catalogue these viruses and put them on this site IMMEDIATELY.

6. Once you have 'removed the virus' perform' another scan of your system to make sure it is gone. ALSO scan any other computers on your network (some viruses spread across networks, even if other computers don't access the internet or email).

7. If you receive a virus, it is good practice to contact the person sending you the virus (if you can work it out) and let them know that they have sent you one (don't be offended if they don't believe you!). The chances are, that if they have sent you a virus, they don't know that they have one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Jayden MacRae
BPhty, PGDipHealInf (Dist)
Software Development and Information Analysis
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.macrae.net.nz
Phone: 07 84772 70
Mobile: 021 529 336